One hundred acres south on Home Avenue, north on Flynn Avenue, east on Shelburne Road, west along the railroad tracks by the lake was purchased in the early 1900s by Charles W. Scarff and A. O. Ferguson from the Foster Farm and divided into eighteen city blocks. The streets were named for the influential entrepreneurs in the city of Burlington such as Richardson, Wells, Lyman, and Flynn. Bungaloid, Colonial Revival and Dutch Colonial Revival homes sprang up, reflecting the popular building trends of this period.
Significant Homes on Foster Street
|11 – 13 Foster StreetBurlington, VT 05401
This well preserved Vernacular style duplex with Colonial Revival porch is typical of the multi-family homes in south Burlington though not found in abundance throughout the city. The house represents the middle-class workers’ house, combining both a function type, a duplex, with popular architectural styles.
|ORIGINAL FORMAL NAME:|
|a)||Wood Frame:||Balloon||X||Western Platform||Post & Beam|
|b)||Load Bearing Masonry||Brick||Stone||Concrete||Concrete Block|
|3.||Wall Covering:||Clapboard||Wood Shingle||Board & Batten|
|Slate||Sheet Metal||Asphalt Shingle||Aluminum||X|
|5.||Roof Covering:||Slate||Wood Shingle||Asphalt Shingle||X|
|Sheet Metal||Built Up||Rolled||Tile||Other:|
|With Belcast||With Parapet||With False Front|
|Number of Stories:||2 ½|
|Number of Bays:||4 x 3|
|Entrance Location:||Front center|
|Approximate Dimensions:||20 x 26|
|ADDITIONAL ARCHITECTURAL OR STRUCTURAL DESCRIPTION:
2 ½ story four square plan duplex house with boxed cornice, fascia trim, center hip roof dormer with two 1/1 sash windows, front 1 story flat roof Colonial Revival porch with entry pediment, matchboard tympanum, box posts with panelled capitals, post balustrade and a trellis skirt. 1/1 sash windows with plain surrounds and two cottage windows. Chimney, rear interior left.
|RELATED STRUCTURES: (Describe)
1 story gable front 3 bay clapboard and shingle garage with central door flanked by two vehicle entrances; fascia trim, corner boards, cement foundation. Overhead and double hinge board and batten doors. (c. 1920 – 40). Asphalt roof (16′ x 12′)
|REFERENCES:||Vermont Division for Historic PreservationBurlington Directory, 1926|
|RECORDED BY:||Karen Czaikowski|
|DATE RECORDED:||June 30, 1983|